AREAS OF GRANTMAKING
The Foundation’s local grants support institutions and organizations where members of the Board live and work. The San Francisco Bay Area is a diverse and treasured place, and these organizations enhance the culture of the region, enrich the lives of its residents, and provide vital support to individuals in need. Specifically, our local grantmaking strives to:
- Build the resilience of the nonprofit sector in Silicon Valley. Grants in this area include support for nonprofit leadership recruitment and retention, nonprofit displacement prevention, and new donor engagement.
- Provide support to select institutions in San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties focused on arts and culture, health and human services, environment, education, and science and technology.
The Foundation’s emerging opportunities grants support organizations outside of the Foundation’s primary program areas. For example, grants in this portfolio strive to:
- Prevent firearm violence nationally and in California.
- Respond to emergencies locally and beyond.
- Strengthen and sustain journalism as an essential arm of U.S. democracy.
- Build organizational capacity for Foundation grantees.
- Support and engage with the broader philanthropic community.